Posted - 03/29/2005 :  05:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah
I use a Digitrax DCS150 Zephyr with a DT400R Super-Throttle in N-scale
Go to Top of Page

caboosejumper
Hobo

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:14:39  Show Profile  Visit caboosejumper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep I have a DCS system for my O gauge from Mike' train House. I had it about 4 weeks now and just love it. Switching is so sweet now.

My railroad is to big for the UP to assimilate
http://home.mchsi.com/~hinzpj3/
Go to Top of Page

administrator
Forum Admin

98 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:27:58  Show Profile  Visit administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote
of course..... a digitrax chief II with an old bigboy as second booster. dt400 and a few of the front panel connectrs (up something). not to forget a completely (!!) wireless throttle system. even building consists and programming locos is done wireless.
also an old dell laptop running decoder pro, connected thru locobuffer.

oh, best of all, about 300 dcc locos....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  19:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI THERE

I have THE ATLAS COMMMANDER SYSTEM ! A LENZ COPY OF SORTS ! WORKS GREAT , I bought a module from lenz that allows me to use a 900mhz or 2.4 mhz cordless phone for a REMOTE CONTROL DEVICE !

WRGMILW

MILWAUKEE FALLEN FLAGS HO MODEL TRAIN CLUB CHARTER MEMBER
Go to Top of Page

SD90
Hobo

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  05:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the DigiTrax Super Empire Builder with a DT400 throttle, I need to get a Super Chief, I keep running out of address!
Go to Top of Page

CPRAC4400
Hobo

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  21:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There. I too use the Super Empire Builder and like SD90 I feel like i have painted myself in a corner with this unit. I sould of went straight for the Super Chief. Don't get me wrong, I love the operations of it. I am running of adresses and would like to have route control.
Go to Top of Page

administrator
Forum Admin

98 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  07:39:19  Show Profile  Visit administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you run out of addresses on the chief as well ! consider getting yourself decoderpro and the link between your pc and your chief. it makes freeing up used slots very simply. also consider using advanced consisting your locos instead of universal consisting as this reduces the amount of slots used.

have fun
sandro
Go to Top of Page

CPRAC4400
Hobo

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  16:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will the decoder pro work with the empire builder? Can you set up route control with it?
Go to Top of Page

administrator
Forum Admin

98 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:25:17  Show Profile  Visit administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wish i could help you. you might consider asking this question in the dcc part of the atlas forum.

not yet enough activity in this forum

have fun
sandro
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  11:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I have a Digital Plus compact by Lenz and
One f7 AB C&NW by lifelike, Old but runs well
One E8 (the rocket) by lifelike, only 20 minute use
One Atlas Classic RS3 Rock Island #497, 2 minutes use (had to see it on the tracks J)

My question is would I be better trade or sells them to get a DCC power loco.
Or try and fit decoders.
Go to Top of Page

administrator
Forum Admin

98 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  20:43:08  Show Profile  Visit administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi oldtimer.............................

welcome aboard...

there are different answers to your question. let me express my thoughts and my opinion.
first let's take a look at the atlas loco. i guess aztec mfg offers a replacement frame which has all the necessary mill work done to fit a decoder. however, you still need to install the decoder yourself. some wire cutting, some insulating of the frame, some soldering. depending on your skills this could probably scare you away. then the two life-like locos. in my opinion not worth the effort. they're rather poor runners and will stay poor runners. if there's any emotional value on these locos then keep them. otherwise sell them and try to get an atlas loco which has a factory installed decoder. sometimes they're cheap on ebay. you might consider getting a kato loco and a digitrax drop-in decoder. very easy installation, less than a minute. of course this requires to spend some more money.

maybe first of all you need to think about what you really want. starting some serious model railroading with a mid to large size layout. or whatever. if you just like to watch your locos running in circles then maybe a normal dc throttle would be of better use.

you see, there's no simple answer.

have fun
sandro
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  13:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I found out today that I can fit a dz123 to the lifelike E8 with no real problems, as it has a plastic frame. And the Atlas RS3 is also possible but just a little filing.
A dealer in OZ will do it for me if needed.
So I will try to do the E8 first.
He also told me not to waste time with Like-like F7 AB’s
Andrew in OZ
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  18:52:56  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good day to you all!
IIIIIIIIIhhsss... last message is back in 2005...
I am probably out here!
I also have a DIGITRAX system with the 402TR throtle. The system works fine, but I had problem with Digitrax decoders.
I have tried the TCS ones and WOW, much better! They are a little bit more expensive, but the warranty is incredible. No question asked, just send them back the deffective decoder and they will re-send you one new.
OLDTIMER: they also have the split decoders to be able to convert into DCC some of the older Atlas chassis like the RS3. You will need to solder wires and be very precise with your work.
But it is possible, with TCS, to salvage older engines and convert them in DCC...
For the last month, I have been installing decoders for all my N scale friends. It gives me a lot of experience and they have DCC engines in return. All they have to pay are the decoders and the time I put to install them. It is more affordable this way then to sell older engines to buy new ones.
Like most of you, I ran out of space on my system... I maybe have 50 DCC engines on the layout and another 250 on the selves waiting to be converted.
Go to Top of Page

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  21:35:31  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
approx 370 digitrax and 30 tcs decoders over here....

tcs are really good,especially at low speeds. unfortunately the dead-on-arrival rate is approx 25%...
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  08:05:47  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are right with the deffective decoders. It is a good thing that they have that GOOF PROOF warranty to. No questions asked, just send them back the decoders to receive news ones. So far, I only had problems with the "split" decoders #1278 and #1286 for the Atlas chassis of RS3 and GP9... All the other TCS decoders I have installed so far were OK.

We did an interesting experience comparing TCS decoders and DIGITRAX ones with an "oscilloscope". The TCS decoders have a much better response then the Digitrax ones.

I also had soooo many problems getting back deffective decoders at Digitrax that I have stopped buying them at all. It is almost like a CIA questionnaire when you return, or want to, return Digitrax decoders for a refund. You never experience that with TCS...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.17 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06