dcc and sound in a nscale loco
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone out there put dcc with sound in a fox valley models ES44AC Gevo locomotive, if so what decoder did you use, etc. got one loco and id like to add sound to it some time in the future

Whoever said you had to grow up never had a train set growing up

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  18:05:08  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whatever you do.. stay off from mrc sound decoders ! i had one. sound was horrible and the engines was running extremely poor.
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  23:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you installed sound in any other loco sandro, what do you recommend for a decoder

Go to Top of Page

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  08:54:56  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have two bli e8/9 with paragon2. excellent sound and excellent running. too bad, these decoders are not available for other locos.
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  20:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahh

i have been looking at buying some of the new sound decoders that digitrax has out now, but havent got around to buying any yet, they got a few drop in ones and others that may require the frame to be modified abit

Go to Top of Page

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  17:57:28  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, i will not equipp any loco with a sound decoder. i tried it but didn't like it at all.
even the sound decoder in my large 1:29 sd45 was quite annoying after a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  03:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah im not sure if ill like it either, so gonna do one loco and see how it sounds before i go crazy and buy a bunch of decoders

Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  21:36:10  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took some time off and did not see this topic before.

I have 8 locos which are sound equipped, all MRCs.

I cannot say I am totally dissapointed... Yes, some are not running perfectly, sometimes, the sound is annoying...

You would have to try it and you will be your best judge of the situation.

The TSUNAMI sound decoders are exceptionnal. My friend in HO scale has maybe 5 steam engines converted with these.

They have installed Tsunami sound decoder in N scale F59PHI under the GO Transit paint scheme... Awesome!!
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  15:23:32  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK ... Up-dates with the TSUNAMI sound decoder in N scale!

Many of the functions are different then the other brand's decoders.

I have 3 different TSUNAMI sound decoders and I am not able to program anything on any of these 3.
I have the ATHEARN F59PHI na d a SD45 (factory equipped with tsunami decoders) and also a steam engine (installed at home)
All three do have sound, none of them will run or even accept new data in the programmation.
I wrote to the company many weeks ago, several times, never received at least, a reply...

So, GREAT sound, but nothing else I am able to do!!

HELP anyone??...
Go to Top of Page

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  19:15:16  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sound decoders need a lot more power than most systems are putting on their programming track. there are special devices availabe which boost the power on the programming track. you might check out www.sodigi.com
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  06:30:27  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bonjour messieurs!

Alright!
I have followed your advice and a device later, I am able to program my sound equipped engines once again!

You were right, I had to boost the power to the programming track.
I bought a "booster" pack from Tsunami directly for 55$.
It is very easy to install. Once that was done, I was able to start practicing with engines.
An hour later, I had 2 newly equipped Tsunami DCC engines on the fleet!
Thanks to this forum and the complicity of all participants to improve the comon "knowledge" of all scale model railroading!
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  17:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice, how do they sound

is it a annoying sound as ive heard some people say or is it bad/good sound that is fun to run around the layout

trains let us dream big ina small space
Go to Top of Page

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:55:04  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad the hint with the booster worked.

if you have any friends doing model trains then please make them join this forum. we could use a lot more posters here.
Go to Top of Page

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:56:39  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sound can be annoying in two different ways :
- poor sound (as my mrc had)
- boring after a while.

my bli e8/9 have outstanding sound decoders. worlds apart from anything else i know. but still, after 5-10 minutes i mute them because the constant noise becomes annoying.
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  04:58:39  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sound is something very personnal to anyone...

By that I mean that it can be annoying to someone while the others find it cool.
Of course, after a while, it gets noisy!

Well then, ask yourself, what would it be to be a REAL conductor in a REAL loco?!!??
You would have the real sound that you could not mute PLUS the vibrations, odors, heat, incomfort...

I have more then 10 engines on the layout with sounds and I really like to ear them all at the same time.
But that is only MY opinion!

By the way, TSUNAMI are trully remarquable sounds and they have a lot of options you can program into your engines.
They are more expensive, but worth all the extra dollars!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.12 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06