main dcc cabinet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres a few shots of my main dcc power center for my layout, its still under construction but its getting there

i used to old kitchen cabinets, cut shelves and holes in for fans and air circulation

got most of the components installed with room for future stuff

once the doors are back on you wont even know its there

top of cabinet

bottom of cabinet

whole cabinet without doors

enjoy

trains let us dream big ina small space

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  12:55:30  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fans ? hm... are you sure your digitrax booster becomes that hot ?
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  17:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dotn no yet how hot it gets under operational load, still got to add the stuff for my switch machines and another booster at a later date, the doors will be on the cabinet once its all done so the fans are for air circulation, i may not need it but im planning ahead just in case it will be to messy and more work to add them later or drill holes later

ill let you know how it turns out

Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  18:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got my dcc cabinet wired for the layout room, 4 power districts, one booster and alot of wire, turned out pretty good other then i melted the plastic connecter a bit on the pm42 when i soldered the wires on, those brass pins are way to small

booster side of the cabinet

power managment side

full cabinet

still got alot of room for future use, which will be another booster and another pm42 with the terminal strips and wire it will be a busy place, plus the power for all the the switch machines will come out of this cabinet

enjoy

Go to Top of Page

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  08:19:23  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool. i never managed to install my pm42. bought it some years ago and never ever gave it a try.
Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  18:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are a pain to install with the pins being so small, but they do work good, and they have some customizable features for each power district you can adjust to fit the layout as needed for smooth operation, i havent tried the reverse loop part of the pm42 yet, so dont know how it works

ill be adding 1 or 2 more boosters and another pm42 to this cabinet for the other room power, which will power a main yard , mainline, passing, helix and a fair amount of industries for switching, cabinet is going to be a bit full when im done

Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  19:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my power center will be getting a few changes also in the next couple weeks, got another pm42 to install and i picked up some wire mold to route the wires and hide them better for a cleaner look, still only got one booster/command station, but i do have a zyphr that i could convert to a booster and use on the layout, put my H.O layout on hold for now, to much time and money to build 2 layouts at once, so n scale wins the fight.

will post pictures once i get it all wired again,

Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  23:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dcc cabinet is complete for the time being, got room for a booster, wires are hooked up and ready to connect to the layout, have a total of 8 power districts to work with and will run 2 boosters eventually, for now got one 5 amp booster and one pm42 hooked up to it, when i redid my track plan i eliminated the reversing sections and added a hidden staging yard and a helix for continuous running, may need to add a 3rd booster and a 3rd pm42 for the layout but havent figured out how many districts i want total, pics to follow

Go to Top of Page

SD9043N
Passenger

165 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  21:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally got some pictures uploaded of the cabinet all wired and ready for the layout

pictures of how i hooked up the 44 pin edge connector and what i used

pics of the pm42's and booster

a few of the pictures may be repeats from the previous way i had set it up,
still need one more booster and this one will be done, then to build another dcc center for the other room once wiring begins, havent started that part yet

enjoy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.11 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06