cp-forum.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 kitbashing and how-to articles
 general how-to (scenery, buildings, trackwork)
 how to add cars to red caboose auto racks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:09:54  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello

red caboose has some really nice autoracks with etched see-through sides. unfortunately these cars look a bit odd without cars inside. that's why i decided to add cars. since 10 cars/pickups fit inside a single auto rack you'll need tons of cars depending on your roster.
the load i wanted to add had to be :
- removable
- cheap
- easy to do
- easy to add variations

what you'll need :
- styrene strips 6" long, 1/4" inch wide, max 1/16" thick. preferably black
- plastic glue (plastruct, tenax, revel,...)
- cars

getting lots of cars is easy. you can find them on ebay for approx $54 (including shipping) for 500 cars. yes, that's 500 cars !
(i buy from 'wehonest_cn', great seller)

since i had no styrene strips on hand i had to cut a few...

lots of these ultra-cheap chinese made cars. these cars are not high-quality. but you don't see any details inside the autoracks. so they're good enough...

now glue the styrene strip to the bottom of the cars. some variation in color and parking distance adds to the realism. the cars don't have to be perfect straight on the strips. just about as straight as i glued them down...

now remove the door on one end of the red caboose autorack. the doors are just snapped in place. no glue needed. simply use a toothpick or your fingernail. release top latch first.

slide in the styrene strips with the cars. no need to glue them to the inside of the autorack. we want them to be removable, remember ?
of course the cars could move inside the autoracks a bit. but this doesn't cause any issues.

close the door again. bottom first.

empty autorack ...

fully loaded ...

that's all folks ! total costs per autorack car is less than $1.20 !

trainboySD40
Hobo

2 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Visit trainboySD40's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is fabulous, excellent idea! Looks much more interesting with the cars inside, it's fantastic that they brought out cars with sheeting that we can see through.
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  18:16:31  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YES, great job, great thinking !

What about the weathering Sandro ??...

Can you imagine?!!... these RED CABOOSE cars sell for the same price as MICRO-TRAINS ones without having the same quality of details, especially with these "see throught" hatches!

Red Caboose has such great cars with different shape then the "regular" 40' cubic box car...

They have the autoracks, wood chip "gondolas" cars, Centerbeam cars for lumber wood, Steel mill coil cars...
Go to Top of Page

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  20:45:18  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
weathering will follow once the cars are loaded. maybe. or any day after loading. or maybe even never. got way too many projects going on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.08 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06