New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swchief3
Passenger

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  16:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here have trouble with Walthers passenger car trucks staying in alignment? I'm referring to the newer releases, which feature metal trucks with bolted-on sideframes. I have several of the ATSF Hi-Level cars, which feature these trucks, and I have one or two problem trucks among them. I'm debating whether or not to keep tinkering with the things here at home, or ask Walthers for replacement trucks. (Personally, I wish they would've stayed with plastic trucks.)

Any thoughts?

FWIW, I've changed the wheels to InterMountain, and that makes a huge difference in the way the cars roll. The InterMountains are much better-rolling than the standard Walthers RP-25 wheels... at least, for me.

swchief3
Passenger

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  00:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ended up having problems with the cars derailing... even WITH InterMountain wheels. Found that the metal contact strips were interfering with the trucks' ability to swing freely, thus derailing the cars. I physically took the strips out, flattened them, and then taped them to the underside (high-tech fix, huh?), to create a smoother surface. The trucks, even though still misaligned and canted at times, swing much better now. I have had no more derailments.
Go to Top of Page

Auburnflyer
Hobo

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  16:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swchief3

Ended up having problems with the cars derailing... even WITH InterMountain wheels. Found that the metal contact strips were interfering with the trucks' ability to swing freely, thus derailing the cars. I physically took the strips out, flattened them, and then taped them to the underside (high-tech fix, huh?), to create a smoother surface. The trucks, even though still misaligned and canted at times, swing much better now. I have had no more derailments.

Interesting problem. Do you have the lighting option in the cars? If you solved the problem by flattening the strips, do they still make electrical contact for lighting in the car?

I have not run my train on a club layout but wanted to know if this is going to be a problem with the lighting.
Go to Top of Page

swchief3
Passenger

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  04:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auburnflyer

Interesting problem. Do you have the lighting option in the cars? If you solved the problem by flattening the strips, do they still make electrical contact for lighting in the car?

I have not run my train on a club layout but wanted to know if this is going to be a problem with the lighting.

No, I'm not using the lighting option. I suspect this "fix" wouldn't work if you're planning to light the car, as the flattened strips now make no contact with those screws on the sideframes.

Interesting timing. Earlier tonight, I was running an Amtrak phase IV consist with one of my doctored Hi-Levels, and it derailed at speed. OOPS! I discovered several problems:

1. the Scotch tape had come loose,
2. the offending strip ended up a bit concave, and
3. the truck was badly canted. It's defective.

I've since substituted that bad-order car with another Hi-Level I'd decked out in Amtrak phase IV, and it hasn't derailed... yet.
Go to Top of Page

Auburnflyer
Hobo

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  22:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swchief3

quote:
Originally posted by Auburnflyer

No, I'm not using the lighting option. I suspect this "fix" wouldn't work if you're planning to light the car, as the flattened strips now make no contact with those screws on the sideframes.

Interesting timing. Earlier tonight, I was running an Amtrak phase IV consist with one of my doctored Hi-Levels, and it derailed at speed. OOPS! I discovered several problems:

1. the Scotch tape had come loose,
2. the offending strip ended up a bit concave, and
3. the truck was badly canted. It's defective.

I've since substituted that bad-order car with another Hi-Level I'd decked out in Amtrak phase IV, and it hasn't derailed... yet.

Thanks

I figured that the lighting was not being used since it requires the contact with the truck.

It sounds like you found another problem with the truck also.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.09 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06