Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suremann
Hobo

Switzerland
14 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  18:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.... and some spare time

Since a long time I was looking for a yard slug in N-Scale, but there was no kit available, nor a complete one. During my search in the internet, I found out, that none of the current yard slugs was ever built as a yard slug. All the current slugs were build as GP7/9 or RS-3 or whatever locomotives and later be rebuild into slugs. So the idea was born to build my own yard slug out of some GP9 debris and leftovers.
After building two CN GP-9 yard slugs and the positive feedback I got for them, I decided to build two more, but this time a pair of BC-Rail RS-3 yard slugs and all comes with some progress pictures and a little how-to.

Here is the part list I ordered at Atlas:
2x RS-3 mainframe – left
2x RS-3 mainframe – right
2x RS-3 body shell undec
4x RS-3 sill unit
4x RS-3 handrail set
2x RS-3 fuel tank
4x RSD-4/5 truck assembly
8x contact strip
4x hex nut
4x screw
4x insulating bushing

Believe it or not, you get all that for just 69$!

Modifying the frame:
To get the look and feel of a yard slug, the original frame has to be modified and all the black marked parts has to be removed, especially for a RS-3 frame. I used a saw to remove them. If you decide to build a GP7/9 slug, than it is much easier, because there you don’t have to cut away these parts.

Now I have to shorten the height of the frame. Again I used my good and old saw. As you can see in the picture, it has lot of room to install a decoder for lightning purpose if you like. This was the part which took me the most time; from now on the rest of the tasks are much easier.

Test fit the body. I put the undecorated RS-3 body on the modified frame and marked the height, so that I have had an indication of how much I have to saw away from the body. And it will be wise, if you put some reserve in it. If you cut away too much, the body will not sit properly on the sill. Don’t ask why I know that .

After having the correct height of the body, I began to rasp down the smoke stack, fan and all unwanted parts. Than I used putty to fill all holes and gaps.

More or less the last part in producing a yard slug is to build a sill without the spacing’s for the cab. That’s why I ordered 4 sills instead of only two. I marked the sill in the middle and used “the chopper” to cut the sill in halve. Then I glued the parts together.

So, apply your favorite colors and decals and the yard slug is finished.

Have fun,

Markus

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  18:30:36  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never thought of using the chopper for cutting up side sills. great idea.
Go to Top of Page

CNCPVIA
Brakeman

Canada
272 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  19:51:01  Show Profile  Visit CNCPVIA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job !!

I did not know that BC Rail used Alco engines to make slugs.

Something new learned out of a N scale project !

The hobby is just GREAT !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.08 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06