railroad, model railroad, electronics
 weekly work reports
 weekly work report..........10/23/2022
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sschaer

911 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2022 :  21:37:49  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello all

had to undergo knee surgery last week and was not allowed to walk and stand without crutches. therefore little has been done.

yesterday i used a barstool to sit down while planting a few more trees.

unfortunately there are just a few of the modified trees left so today i started upgrading more heki trees to "my" standards. 150 done, approx 400 more to do before i finally run out of this kind of trees. this should be enough to finishe the scene i'm currently working on. the rest of the layout will see different trees as heki stopped producing these some years ago. bummer.

beside the trees i also installed a decoder in an atlas sd60m. did i ever mention i hate the drive design of atlas ??? disassembling the whole drive just to install a decoder is a really poor design. but atlas sells their locos as dcc ready. their not. dcc capable at max. took me 30minutes to get the job done right. for comparison : a kato takes less than a minute !
then i worked on some tomix track cleaning cars. one just needed some cleaning and a new polishing pad. the other one needed major repair. when test-running i noticed the lower body/frame was broken into two and just beeing held together by the electrical contacts inside the body. all the work done for nothing. maybe i will try to glue/melt the parts together but i don't thing it's worth the effort. anyways, the maintaned cleaner then ran behind that sd60m for approx 4 hours. surprise ! i didn't expect the tomix cleaner to run for so much time without failing. why ? running a dc motor on dcc usually kills the motor in no time. also the trucks on the cleaning cars tend to collect a lot of dust so electrical contacts will fail. not this time ! running 4 hours without even getting hot.

so.... for as long as i will need to use the crutches i will upgrade more trees until i finally and definitely run out of the heki trees. will take a few more evenings. after that i will finish the landscaping on this part of the layout before planting the remaining trees.

stay tuned ! fall is almost over. long dark evenings with lots of fog are ahead of us giving plenty of time to work on the layout.

Edited by - sschaer on 10/23/2022 21:38:29
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.08 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06