railroad, model railroad, electronics
 weekly work reports
 weekly work report..........12/17/2023
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sschaer

913 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2023 :  18:45:30  Show Profile  Visit sschaer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello folks

the last few days i ran a few trains around the layout. some slight tweaking in some areas and everything runs smooth now. i always amazes me how different trains react differently on some track imperfections. i setup a tanktrain consisting of 42 cars and 2 engines. ran smooth right "out of the box". later i then replaced the original plastic wheels with rapido steel ones. the train is quite a bit louder now but tracks much better. i also like the clickety-clack over rail joints

while the tank train ran around the layout i worked on an atlas sd60 which sounded like a coffee grinder. i had to take it apart multiple times until it was silent. a quick test run and i was happy with the result. i then parked the loco in the main yard. not taking care of the exact position. here's the result :

what happened ? well, the 3-axle truck was parked exactly on a booster district border. north yard was powered off due to a short. south yard was powered. so the full 8 amps of the south yard booster went thru that truck just to be shortened out. even worse, due to some glitches in my track wiring the boosters of main 3 and the engine facility happily helped the south yard booster to toast that truck. that's 3x8 amps. that's quite a bit of power. enough to melt the truck beyond repair. unfortunately also the track underneath had to be replaced.

then i spent quite a few hours crawling under the layout to find the glitches. in short : main 1, main 3, south yard, engine facility were hooked together somehow. some feeder wires were soldered to the wrong power bus. until today i found most of the issues. but currentl main 1 still messes up with main 3. sooner or later i find the culprit as well.

i also ballasted a few more feet of track. not really the kind of work i like most. but it has to be done.

stay tuned !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
cp-forum.net © 2010- cp-forum.net Go To Top Of Page
used electrons created this page in 0.07 secs. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06